Erik M. Lunsford/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/TNS
MCT

How to turn heads at your holiday party

The holidays are fast approaching and that means parties galore. Whether it’s for the annual family Christmas party, the neighborhood holiday gathering or a New Year’s Eve bash with friends, there are some great ways to stand out from the crowd in any setting.

This holiday season’s party looks are all about classic style. Think Audrey Hepburn and Old Hollywood. Sure, that bright pink dress might be fun, but black, white, navy, red and gold are the colors for any and all festivities.

“My favorite holiday party look is a little red dress with cap sleeves,” freshman Larisa Hanger said. “Classy, yet red hot, and easy to dance the night away in!” Pair any of these colors with black or nude heels and a little bit of sparkle for a simple way to shine.

One particularly easy way to stand out? “Anything glitz and glam,” sophomore Kiya Khalil said.

Glitter, especially on a gold, silver or white dress will leave everyone starry-eyed. If solid colors are a little too plain for the event, try combining black with red, white or gold to make a splash. Black accents against any of these colors makes for a bold look that is sure to turn heads. Sophomore Jenny Mai says, “For a fancier party, I would say a modern, clean line dress in a solid color like black with red lipstick, some cute booties and a patterned scarf.”

However, don’t let fashion get in the way of comfort. Senior Alice Pauly says, “I like to be comfortable and usually have something glittery or velvet in my outfit.” If the party is a little more casual than cocktail dresses? “Dark jeans, a nice blouse, with a blazer, flashy earrings, nude makeup with deep red lipstick and leather booties with a heel” Mai said. “I love the new sleek black and sparkle strapless jumpsuits or the holiday skirts, a blouse, and high boots” for less formal get-togethers, Khalil said.

With any outfit, regardless of formality, it’s important to accessorize. Scarves, statement necklaces, cute bags and bold lips are the staples of the season.

“Everyone should definitely include a bag or a way to carry essentials like cash or chapstick,” Pauly said.

Khalil agrees, “A must for the holiday season is either a statement necklace and a glamour clutch,” she said.

As for bold lips? “A staple red lipstick is essential for every holiday party look,” Hanger said. “Whether it’s Maybelline or Christian Louboutin, a red lip will always bring your already stunning outfit to the next level!”

Of course, don’t forget the classic ugly Christmas sweater parties. These are a little easier to dress for since part of the requisite outfit is in the name.

That doesn’t mean that the overall look is complete, though.

While many people opt for jeans and boots or Converse, a cheesy Christmas sweater, leggings and boots is a great way to be comfortable and goofy all at once, according to sophomore Rebeckah Pace.

“I would say a festive holiday scarf and warm gloves to match if the party is outside! A cute wool hat would be a nice touch, too.”

As the holidays fast approach and the invitations to various parties come in, be prepared to outshine

Rudolph with these holiday fashion tips for any and all types of festivities.