Going green while  on the go
MCT

Going green while on the go

Wake Forest students, faculty and staff have access to a variety of sustainable transportation options that allow them to minimize their carbon footprint and save money.

Most students are already familiar with the campus shuttles and have seen Zipcars parked allong side residence halls, but these are just a few of the numerous avenues of green transportation that the university provides.

Shuttles

Wake Forest offers shuttles to off-campus apartments, parking, downtown  Winston-Salem’s night life hotspots, the Innovation Quarter, Hane’s Mall, Target and the WFU Baptist Medical Center.

Buses run from Benson circle and campus bus stops on regularly-scheduled intervals throughout the academic day and on weekends.

The Ride the Wake web page allows users to track shuttles’ locations and view detailed schedules and maps.

Re-Cycle
bike sharing

At the start of each semester, the Office of Sustainability allows students to apply for bike sharing rentals on a first-come, first-served basis.

Several different types of bikes are available, including ones that have off-road capabilities, and students are matched with  them based on their responses on the application.

If bikes are returned in good condition, they are free to use for students, faculty and staff. They can be rented for single uses or for entire semesters from Outdoor Pursuits.

The program is so popular that there is currently a waitling list nearly double the number of available bikes, which are often donated. Bike rentals also come issued with lock kits to prevent theft.

OnCall Van Program

This year, Parking and Transportation launched a new, late-night safe ride initiative, “onCall.”

From 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. every night, students, faculty and staff have access to free, on-demand van rides from on or near campus, including the freshman and sophomore parking lots, Deacon Station, Polo Road campus neighborhoods, Brookwood Drive, Howell Street, University Parkway and Long Drive.

Zipcar

Zipcars are available from many locations on campus, including the parking around Polo, the parking loop between Poteat and Kitchin, Gulley Drive in front of Bostwick and Johnson, among others.

Hourly rates begin at $7.50 and include gas and insurance.

Certain cars which include features like reduced branding and auxillary cords have pricier rates. 

In order to register a Zipcar membership, students must only be 18 years of age or older with a valid drivers license. International licenses are accepted as well.

Reservations can be made easily through the app, which also allows students to lock and unlock the vehicles, access help and resources and extend their rental time on the fly. 

Zimride

Zimride is an app and secure network that matches carpool partners going to the same destination or on similar trips. Members can offer rides for free or ask passengers to help cover the costs of the trip.

Rides are matched based on the criteria set by the individuals offering and seeking ride-share partners, allowing the carpool arrangement to be a truly mutual agreement between the driver and passengers including music choices, meal stops and smoking preferences.