300 dpi 3 col x 7 in / 164x178 mm / 558x605 pixels Chris Ware color illustration of a young woman juggling things she needs to fit into her schedule: sleeping, eating, studying, etc. Lexington Herald-Leader 2001
300 dpi 3 col x 7 in / 164×178 mm / 558×605 pixels Chris Ware color illustration of a young woman juggling things she needs to fit into her schedule: sleeping, eating, studying, etc. Lexington Herald-Leader 2001
KRT

Jump start your day by waking up earlier

Brisk temperatures and fallen leaves indicate the turn of seasons, one which sends stressed-out, coffee-fueled college students to the library for hours upon end.

Less daylight affects our productivity as we scramble to submit assignments and manage the ever-present workload.

Defeated, students often feel there are not enough hours in the day to accomplish everything that needs to be done. We’re forced into a perpetual cycle of coffee-buzzed “all-nighters” and exhausted crashes come morning. Midday naps are essential, and attention spans shorten. Despite the oncoming cold, we push through. The downward spiral affects our personal and professional lives as we fight to keep our head above water.

Early risers experience a multitude of benefits to their health, happiness and overall wellbeing. Although the agonizing sound of the alarm clock going off an hour or two earlier than usual is an adjustment, the long term benefits prepare students for the day.

In an article posted on “Bustle,” author Jeff Sanders (“The 5 AM Miracle”) is quoted saying, “What I have found over and over again is that early risers are the kinds of people who make healthier choices. They are more likely to exercise in the morning, eat a healthy breakfast and make time for reading, yoga, prayer, meditation or other healthy and fulfilling habits.”

According to “Women’s Health,” studies show that early birds are more likely to work out than those who plan to workout later in the day. Whether you’re setting out for a morning run around campus, hopping on a spin bike at the local YMCA or tucking and toning at Pure Barre, an early exercise routine holds you accountable for your health and energizes your for the day. A period of mediation solidifies your intentions for the day and settles your mind before diving into chaotic campus life.

Waking up early allows students an opportunity to plan their week, set goals and manage their time effectively. Reviewing your upcoming week or reading the news over a cup of coffee allows the mind ample time to wake up and refocus. Take charge of your day by allowing yourself foresight to combat any problems that may arise throughout the day. According to “Forbes,” Harvard biologist Christoph Randler discovered mental preparedness  allows students to be more efficient when handling unforeseen problems.

Productive mornings grant relaxed evenings where students can engage in social events and unwind over dinner. Go to the Homecoming bonfire or listen to a speaker without the overwhelming guilt of not doing homework. Without a lingering workload at night, students have more time to enjoy their friends and family without the suffocating pressure of deadlines. Early risers enjoy deeper sleep cycles and more restorative sleep.

Uninterrupted and prolonged hours of studying are tempting short-term benefits of staying up all night. Shift your sleep pattern for a fulfilling and accomplished lifestyle that comes with waking up early. You know what they say: the early bird gets the worm.