Wake Forest attracts  valuable and prominent speakers

Wake Forest attracts valuable and prominent speakers

Students at Wake Forest have numerous unique opportunities to learn and grow during their four years on campus. There are many programs, clubs and activities to get involved in as well as strong academics.

In addition to this, Wake Forest has provided many unique experiences for students with the various speakers that have come and continue to come to campus.

This week, campus has been filled with exciting Homecoming events and a multitude of guest speakers.

Earlier this week, Al Hunt, former Old Gold & Black staff member, spoke in Pugh Auditorium. Hunt is currently a columnist for “Bloomberg View” and hosts Political “Capital,” a Sunday talk show on Bloomberg Television.

In addition to Hunt, “New York Time Magazine’s” Scott Anderson spoke to students and faculty. Both shared valuable experiences with students and faculty during their talks on campus.

To supplement their visits, the Wake Forest and Winston-Salem communities welcomed Democratic Presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and First Lady of the United States Michelle Obama. The pair spoke in the Coliseum earlier today.

Clinton and Obama came to campus for a rally on early voting for the upcoming election.

The event, open to the general public, was filled with many Wake Forest students and faculty as well as those from the surrounding areas in North Carolina.

The highly anticipated event was met with eager students, faculty and North Carolinian residents.

The magnitude of having a presidential candidate and the First Lady speak on campus left many students excited leading up to the event.

Earlier this year, Chelsea Clinton, Peggy Noonan and Bill Clinton visited campus, current Vice President Joe Biden spoke at commencement in 2009 and comedian Stephen Colbert spoke in 2015. 

The variety of speakers, conservatives, liberals, comedians, journalists all bring value and unique stories to share with the Wake Forest community. As students, we are lucky that we have the opportunities to hear from prominent and influential people in society.

The editors of the Old Gold & Black believe that Wake Forest has done an exceptional job attracting influential people to campus and encourage students to take advantage of these opportunities.