Photo courtesy of Wake Forest University

Advice from campus celebrities

Deacs are proud of our expansive network — take advantage of your resources and listen to tips from some of Wake Forest’s most well-known individuals.

Nathan O. Hatch, President of Wake Forest University 

Photo courtesy of Wake Forest News

“Welcome to Wake Forest, a wonderful community of learning — a place that knows well the art of conversation. There is much in the contemporary world that counsels us to move faster. Bill Gate’s book advises us to do ‘business at the speed of thought.’ Faster is better; more information is better.

My advice is that you not allow the velocity of everyday life to rob you of the sheer joy of learning. We learn best as we discuss and interact, question and debate. I encourage you to engage your faculty and your student friends at every turn. And when you are engaged in a good conversation, do not respond to the next ping on your digital pad, your iPhone or Apple Watch.  Learn to focus — not to live in continuous partial attention.”

Codi Miller-McIntyre, Senior, guard for Wake Forest’s basketball team

Photo courtesy of Twitter
Photo courtesy of Twitter

“Understand where you want to be years from now. By understanding that, you will know what you should and shouldn’t do, the people you should and shouldn’t hang out with, and it will keep you focused through the hard times that you will face during the transition from high school to college. What you do during these next four years will determine where you are in the future.”

Adam Hammer, Senior, Student Government President

Lindsey Gallinek/Old Gold & Black
Lindsey Gallinek/Old Gold & Black

“Push yourself and don’t be afraid to dream. Wake Forest is brimming with opportunity — imagine who you want to be when you leave these walls in four years and spend every day working toward that aspiration. Stay hungry for your ambitions and go get it. Period.”

Ryan Janvion, Senior, defensive back for Wake Forest’s football team

Photo courtesy of Gettysburg images
Photo courtesy of Gettysburg images

“Don’t be afraid to be different. Don’t feel the need to conform in order to fit in. Stay true to who you are and people will respect you for it. You want your friends to like you for you, not someone else you try to be.”

Michele Gillespie, Dean of Wake Forest College

Photo courtesy of Wake Forest News
Photo courtesy of Wake Forest News

“Get to know your professors right off the bat. Faculty here are outstanding teacher-scholars who are committed to your learning in and out of the classroom. They will offer you invaluable perspective and advice.”

Darius Williams, Senior, student activist

Photo courtesy of LinkedIn
Photo courtesy of LinkedIn

“Go abroad. You’ll have the rest of your lifetime to change the world; but first take a semester, allow the world to change you.”