Graphic by Hope Game/Old Gold & Black
Graphic by Hope Game/Old Gold & Black

Make this semester the best yet

Coming back to Wake Forest is an exciting time, but many students struggle to adjust after a fun summer off. Here are some tips to help you transition smoothly this fall:

Meet your professors.
I wish I had made this a priority sooner. The professors here really do care about you and your education. They are great resources and have endless stories, advice and experience. Go to their office hours and show them you care about their class and research.

Join a new club.
Be sure to check out all the booths at the Student Involvement Fair on Wednesday, Sept. 2 from 3:30 to 6 p.m. on the Mag Quad. It’s not just for freshmen! Joining an organization is a great way to meet new people and pick up a hobby or two.

Go to sporting events.
Show your fellow Deacs your support and admiration. Go to the tailgates and meet people. There is a sense of community at our games — something that will follow you long after you leave Wake Forest.

Explore Winston-Salem.
Winston-Salem has so much to offer, from the fun restaurants and bars downtown to Pilot Mountain and Hanging Rock. Find a friend with a car, or take the Wake Shuttle or Uber somewhere you’ve always wanted to see in the dash. You won’t regret it.

Plan time for friends.
Everyone has busy schedules, but the friends you make here really can lead to lifelong relationships. Friendships take work, though. Schedule weekly lunches, invite everyone to your room and make an effort to talk to your friends.

Prioritize.
Buy a planner and use it. You’ll quickly realize there’s always something happening on campus you want to do, but you’ll have to juggle things around in your schedule. It takes a little time each semester to balance the fun and the work.

Do your homework.
Read that article before class. Annotate that chapter so you can participate in class discussions. There will be some boring assigned passages, but when you find a subject or topic you’re passionate about, reading required books will be enjoyable. I promise.

Step out of your comfort zone.
Use college as a safe space to try something different, meet someone new and be someone new. We’re all young adults — take advantage of everything and put yourself out there!

Have fun.
Each semester flies by. Before you know it, you’ll be a senior already thinking about your post-graduation plans. College is exciting, scary and a blast, so soak it all up.