Best Brunches in Winston-Salem

Best Brunches in Winston-Salem

Many students like to sleep in on the weekends, so often times they sleep through breakfast. Here are four places in Winston-Salem to get a weekend brunch with friends.

River Birch Lodge

River Birch Lodge is known for its natural decor and its rustic atmosphere. However, on Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Sundays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. the woodsy restraunt transforms into a popular brunch spot.

For those over 21, the full bar serves mimosas and other cocktails along with Lodge Breakfast Favorites like the Blackened Salmon Benedict ($13.50) or the more classic Smoked Gouda and Bacon Omelette ($12.25). The Blackened Salmon Benedict consists of a hickory cajun seasoned grilled salmon filet served on an English muffin with poached eggs and hollandaise. The omelette contains smoked gouda cheese and applewood smoked bacon, creating a blend of savory flavors. For those who are in the mood for lunch, River Birch also serves an array of salads, sandwiches and burgers including their famous Grilled Shrimp Arugula Salad ($13.75) and their Bison Burger ($16.95). The burger is hickory grilled and topped with traditional toppings; however, customers are able to add Wild Mushroom Gravy.

The restaurant is located off of Robinhood Road. While the food can be pricy, the quality of the meal makes the trip worth it. They have two patios located on either side of the restaurant. Inside there are canoes hanging from the walls and a fireplace on one end of the building which provides a roaring fire during the cooler months of the year. The mountainous decor provides a semi-casual dining experience.

Mama Zoe Michael’s 

Mama Zoe Michael’s is located on Reynolda Road just down the street from campus. The homey atmosphere brings customers of all ages to try the large assortment of food. On a normal afternoon the restaurant serves a range of food, from a traditional Greek cuisine to a simple club sandwich. However, in the mornings they serve an ample amount of homestyle meals.

The All American ($6.25) and the Racers Choice ($6.95) are two menu favorites. The All American is comprised of two pancakes, two eggs and a choice of bacon, ham or sausage, while the Racers Choice is French toast served with two eggs, two slices of bacon and two sausage links.

Village Tavern 

Village Tavern is a popular dinner spot for Wake Forest students; however, every Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. they serve brunch. They serve an array of Benedict’s, waffles and omelettes. Various menu favorites include the tavern brunch special Cruz Bay Breakfast ($8.50) and the more classic Belgian Waffle ($5.95). The Cruz Bay Breakfast is spicy black beans served over a toasted English muffin with two poached eggs, grated Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese, tomatoes, green onions and sour cream.

Midtown Cafe & Dessertery 

For those of us who dislike waking up before noon on the weekends, Midtown Cafe and Dessertery serves breakfast all day every day. The restaurant made its name in Winston-Salem 30 years ago with its assortment of desserts; however, it has developed into one of the city’s best brunch locations.

They offer a comfortable and casual atmosphere while still serving high-quality, made-from-scratch food. When customers walk in they are covered by the scents of homestyle meals. Desserts are displayed near the entrance of the building and are avaliable for take out.

Midtown serves 12 Pancake Specials and six specialty dishes. A customer favorite is the Swiss Chocolate Chip Pancakes ($6.90) which is dusted with powdered sugar. However, for those with a more adventurous taste, the Reese’s Peanut Butter Chip Pancakes ($7.85) or the Peach Delight Pancakes ($10.15) are great options.

Breakfast is not the only thing this restaurant sells. Their wraps and chicken pies are also avaliable to order. They offer an array of southern-style meals that leave costumers satisfied and it is always a good idea to leave room for their made-from-scratch cakes, pies, cheesecakes and brownies.

Now that spring is here and the weather is warming up, students should make use of the restaurant’s patio. The tables circle a stone fountain which displays dolphins jumping into the air.