David Steinlicht/TNS
David Steinlicht/TNS
KRT

Stay healthy this semester

Figuring out a healthy lifestyle and implementing it into your college routine is difficult for any student. Your fourth semester at school can be just as challenging as the first, depending on your schedule. The key to any habit, however, is to start early.  So, here are some tips to help you meet your health goals this semester.

Find food.
Eating in a cafeteria is challenging. The best and worst thing about the Pit is the number of options it offers to students. Choosing a healthy meal can be a struggle, but it is critical to eat balanced meals for your health. To help with that, pick a fruit or vegetable with your meal and eat it first.  If you save them for last, you might fill up on less nutritious foods.

Exercise.
There are plenty of options for those who want to work out on campus. Go check out the gym, find the Reynolda trails or take an exercise class on campus. For those of you who are more team-oriented, there are plenty of club and intramural sports to join. Although it can seem daunting to find time to work out, setting a routine at the beginning of the semester will help you get into a rhythm.

Set realistic expectations.
Reaching for the stars is a great thing to do, but it’s important to break down those goals. Unrealistic expectations can lead to disappointment or negative feelings about yourself.
Many college students tend to compare themselves to their peers and are disappointed when they find differences, whether it be their body shapes, personalities, talents or lifestyles. Find positive things about yourself, and use those to encourage yourself while you challenge yourself to choose healthy foods, workout or continue to be yourself!

Sleep.
As college students, very few of us sleep for a sufficient amount of time. Usually the trick with sleeping regularly is to manage your time. Start those papers when they’re assigned, not the day before they’re due. Not only will you probably earn a better grade, but you’ll also feel more rested.

Treat yourself.
Everything is good in moderation. Go get that brownie on the way out of Pit or buy yourself a Cookout milkshake. Don’t eat them for breakfast every day, but do not let other people dictate what you eat. Plus, using treats as a reward is a great way to keep yourself motivated to make healthy choices.

Prioritize your emotional health.
When people think of health, physical health frequently comes to mind. Yet, your emotional health is just as important. Surround yourself with good people, call your parents or take some time off to be away from everything. Reach out to people if you have a problem and listen to others in turn.

If you follow these guidelines and make time to concentrate on your health now, your efforts will pay off for the rest of the semester and you’ll be a healthier, happier Deacon!