Tips For Getting Involved On Campus

Tips For Getting Involved On Campus

Wake Forest currently offers more than 200 student organizations that cater to a wide variety of interests present among the student body.

However, the sheer number of organizations can also be overwhelming. Here’s how to navigate the plethora of opportunities available in order to find your niche on campus, make lifelong friends and develop marketable skills.

One of the best ways to find out about student organizations is the biannual Student Involvement Fair. Take advantage of this opportunity to pose questions to current members about the time and work commitment, group dynamic and other pros and cons.

Spending a little more time learning about the different options and talking to other students can lead you to make smarter decisions about which clubs to join. Remember, you will have to balance extracurricular time with academic requirements and your social life, so a few meaningful commitments are better than many weak attachments to various organizations.

That being said, there are many avenues for exploration, and there is no club that is one-size-fits-all. With many options for clubs, you can easily choose to continue your involvement in similar activities during high school, or you can branch out and join new clubs.

There are organizations geared toward the many different types and groups of people that constitute Wake Forest’s student body. Athletic and adventurous enthusiasts might want to join a club or intramural team, become involved with Outdoor Pursuits or work for Campus Recreation.

Performing and visual artists might find a home within the Lilting Banshees comedy troupe, the Fiber Arts Club, a cappella groups like Chi Rho or Minor Variation or other creative organizations. Aspiring writers might craft resolutions within Student Government or write for the Old Gold & Black. Whatever your talents or inclinations, you can find something for you.

In addition to joining these clubs, many Wake Forest students also find ample opportunities to give back to the surrounding community through service-oriented organizations and clubs.

You might decide to formally rush Alpha Phi Omega, the co-ed service fraternity, or you might volunteer at Campus Kitchen, train service dogs through Woof Forest, and lead environmental change through work at the Office of Sustainability. These are just a few ways to become involved with community service and begin immersing yourself in Wake Forest’s defining spirit of Pro Humanitate.

Even if you look at all of these suggestions and don’t feel attracted to any of them yet, there are other ways for you to become involved. You could decide to develop your own organization, try out something that you’ve never done before or ask your peers or faculty about options that they might recommend for you.

No matter what path you ultimately follow, just know that you will always have the option and the time to change directions or pursue new routes during your time at Wake Forest.