Pilot Mountain is a great place to visit if you are looking for a hike or looking to get away for the day.
Morgan Moser

Where to go in Winston-Salem

Senior Morgan Moser gives suggestions for activities in the city, courtesy of her three years of expertise

As you may know, a major side effect of going to Wake Forest is living within the “Wake Bubble.” It’s where we sleep, eat, socialize, exercise, work and go to class. Without even realizing it, days and weeks go by without ever stepping off campus. After a while, it is nice to get away and explore Winston-Salem. 

At first glance, Winston-Salem might not seem like much, but as someone who has lived here for three years, I can attest that it is actually a vibrant city bursting with culture and excitement. So if you are looking for something to do off-campus, here are some suggestions from me to you! 

Eats 

Possibly one of my favorite parts of the city is the restaurant options. If you are a foodie, then you came to the right place — Winston-Salem is packed full of hidden gems with great food. 

If you are craving pizza on a Friday night, definitely check out Cugino Forno or Mission Pizza downtown. If you are looking for a more traditional, American-style meal, Cin Cin Burger Bar is the place to go. They have the best burgers, sandwiches and salads around and have plenty of vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options! 

On nights when you are looking for some Mexican or Tex-Mex food, I suggest Mi Pueblo, Taco Mama or The Porch. Taco Mama is a ton of food for a decent price so you will likely go home with a meal for later. If you are looking to spice it up a little, Nawab Indian Cuisine is amazing, and I highly recommend their Tikka Masala. For sushi lovers, Mizu is a staple. And if you are just looking for somewhere a little nicer to go for a date night or when you have family in town, Fratellis Italian Steakhouse and Mozelle’s Southern Bistro are no-brainers. 

Cafés 

An absolute must for Wake students is finding an off-campus place to escape to during study time. There are countless coffee and tea shops within a few miles of campus, but my personal favorite is Chad’s Chai. They opened a few years ago and the vibes are immaculate. 

If tea isn’t your thing, Anchor Coffee is delicious, and it is only a quick ride on the Wake Line to Wake Downtown away. Also not far from campus is Dough Joe’s. A Wake Forest favorite, they have amazing seasonal beverages and doughnuts. If you are looking for a more upbeat atmosphere, Krankies is perfect. They have coffee, pastries and delicious chicken biscuits. It is my Saturday morning go-to.  

Shopping 

Looking for a little retail therapy? Winston-Salem is full of shops — from artsy thrift stores to upscale boutiques. There are, of course, your classic thrift stores: Goodwill, Uptown Cheapskate and Plato’s Closet. However, there are also some fun hidden places like Putting on the RITZ, The Snob Shop and Off the Rack. 

If thrifting isn’t your thing, but you still want somewhere fun and local to visit, I highly recommend the Mast General Store in downtown. As a North Carolina native, the Mast General Store holds a special place in my heart. They have everything from outdoor equipment to clothes, accessories, bulk candy and so much more. Another place to check out would be Hanes Mall. They have most of your major retailers and lots of shops in the surrounding area. 

Reynolda Village and Gardens is a great place to get away from the stress and chaos on campus. (Morgan Moser)

Getting Outside 

For all of the nature lovers, you will be happy to know that Winston-Salem is surrounded by plenty of opportunities to get outside. Most close to home, Reynolda Village and Gardens is a great place to get away from the stress and chaos on campus. You will never get bored walking on their miles of trails and it somehow only gets prettier as the leaves begin to change! 

If you do decide to take an adventure down to Reynolda Village, you could extend your trip by walking over to the Graylyn Estate. The rolling hills and castle-like buildings will make you feel like you are in a storybook. 

If you are more of a history buff looking for somewhere to explore, I recommend Old Salem or Bethabara Park. Both are remnants of the early Moravian population dating back to the mid-17th century. Occasionally there will be events that you can attend like the Annual Apple Festival on Sept. 28 or pop-up History Workshops. 

For those who are more interested in planning an adventure, you are in luck! Winston-Salem is only 30 minutes from Pilot Mountain and 40 minutes from Hanging Rock State Park. Both are great places to visit if you are looking for a hike or appreciate high altitudes!