Patrick Mahomes and fiancée have first child

Quarterback Patrick Mahomes welcomes baby girl, Sterling, days after Super Bowl

Mahomes+with+his+fianc%C3%A9e%2C+Brittany%2C+who+gave+birth+to%0Atheir+daughter+just+13+days+after+his+Super+Bowl+loss.+

Mahomes with his fiancée, Brittany, who gave birth to their daughter just 13 days after his Super Bowl loss.

Christina Denovio, Sports Editor

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes may have lost the Super Bowl this February, but he scored a touchdown with the arrival of his baby girl. He and his fiancée, Brittany Matthews, welcomed Sterling Skye Mahomes into the world on Feb. 20. Pat Mahomes shared a close-up photo of Matthews wearing a necklace with Sterling’s name on Instagram. Also in sight is the baby’s hand reaching for her father’s, as Matthews also holds Mahomes’ hand.

Mahomes had said that one of his offseason goals was to concentrate on fatherhood, and now the time has arrived! At 6 lbs, 11 oz., the baby was born just 13 days after Mahomes’ second Super Bowl appearance in Tampa Bay, FL. Just a few days ago, Matthews teased her Instagram followers with two sets of maternity photos, the first batch with a blue background, leading them to believe she would be having a boy. Soon thereafter, she posted three photos in a pink dress surrounded by pink curtains and captioned it, “Ready to meet you baby girl.” Apparently, both Pat and his wife like to play games.

Mahomes proposed to Matthews on Sept. 1, the day he received his Super Bowl LIV Championship ring, in Arrowhead Stadium. The couple announced that they were expecting their first child on Sept. 29. Mahomes and Matthews have been together since high school at Whitehouse ISD and stayed together while attending different colleges. Matthews now runs her own personal training business called Brittany Lynne Fitness. Before her career as a trainer, Matthews played professional soccer for an Icelandic team. In college, she played at the University of Texas at Tyler. Now, Matthews is a co-owner of the NWSL’s expansion team, FC Kansas City.

Mahomes also grew up as an athlete; he played both football and baseball at Texas Tech University but quit baseball his sophomore year. His focus on football certainly paid off. During his junior year, he led the NCAA in passing yards, touchdowns and more. In the 2017 NFL Draft, Mahomes went as the No. 10 selection to the Chiefs. At age 25, Mahomes has already been to two Super Bowls (one of which he won) and been named Super Bowl MVP and NFL MVP. It’s safe to say that Sterling’s parents have athletic genes.

Mayor Quinton Lucas tweeted, “Welcome to Kansas City, Sterling Mahomes! Congratulations to Mother and Father.” Mahomes bought a $1.8 million home in Kansas City, Missouri in February 2019, showing that he would be establishing roots in the city. The fact that Mahomes signed the biggest contract in all of sports history with the Chiefs (approximately $503 million) made Kansas City an appealing place to stay.

With the offseason just starting, Mahomes has plenty of time to spend with his baby girl before NFL preseason starts back up in August. The Chiefs will be looking to reach their third-straight Super Bowl, and come out as the victors this time around.