Diversity is more than race and gender

Diversity is more than race and gender

Trigger warning: The contents of this article may offend those who do not like hearing contrary opinions. Last semester, I wrote an article warning against the censorship of college campuses.

Unfortunately, I underestimated the potency of the threat facing the future of academia.

Wake Forest, it would seem, is on its way to appeasing the anti-intellectual extremists.

In light of Missouri’s president being ousted by angry students, our own President Nathan O. Hatch considered it prudent to protect his image from the restless mob.

In an embarrassingly conciliatory email, President Hatch had to “prove” his commitment to diversity by pointing to all the things the administration is doing to make campus a more comfortable place for the marginalized.

The email boasted about a gender equality summit in Washington, D.C., and an invitation for Ta-Nehisi Coates to speak.

The email reflected the left’s misunderstanding of diversity. When did skin color or gender become the only measures of diversity?

Diversity exists in ideas, not in demographics alone. Apparently, the fact that Wake Forest is inviting a black, leftwing activist to speak makes the university committed to defeating bigotry and injustice.

In an academic environment where uncomfortable comments and viewpoints are decried and censored, nothing is preventing these “crybullies” from monopolizing discourse.

Activists clamor for equality and a chance to be heard but have no interest in listening to opposing voices. Diversity is scarce in the Wake Forest ideological echo chamber. The incidents at the University of Missouri and Yale University demonstrated the fanaticism present among the activist sect of the left.

Missouri created “black-only healing spaces” where white individuals are not even allowed entry. Where is the diversity they claim to cherish in these healing spaces?

The double standard of the radical left is mind-boggling. One of the most obvious hypocrisies is that only a certain group of people have the right to be offended.

Yale activists wanted “culturally appropriating” Halloween costumes censored.

However, do white people have the right to be offended, or is that a privilege exclusive to minorities?

Will my demands for the removal of a professor who doesn’t agreeing with me be legitimized by the left? The answer to both questions is no.

At Wesleyan College the student government reduced a school newspaper’s budget because an opinion writer published an article mildly critiquing the Black Lives Matter movement. Sounds like Wesleyan students are zealous defenders of free speech.

It is evident that political correctness has become a disease that infects not only academia, but also America as a whole. As Islamic terrorists committed an egregious attack in Paris, the first thing I see on Twitter is “Terrorism has no religion.”

Gunmen slaughter hundreds of civilians and the left’s instinctive reaction is to make sure our response is politically correct.

The Paris attackers certainly claimed a religion, just as many other acts of terror are committed by adherents to a violent sect of Islam.

We must avoid generalizations and not label all Muslims as enemies, but many countries are in dire need of an unadulterated conversation about radical Islamic terrorism in order to protect innocent people.

I do not want to live in a society in which students can hold an administration hostage unless an unsavory employee is fired, a CEO cannot express his religious convictions without losing his job and a student can be punished simply for offending someone.

Institutions of higher education should strive to protect fundamental values like free speech, open dialogue, intellectual confrontation and academic rigor.

Unless a commitment to the free exchange of ideas retrenches itself in America’s youth, college campuses will forever be subject to the reign of terror of microaggressions, trigger warnings and the radical left.