On Saturday morning, the Associated Press, as well as NBC, CNN, and Fox News all announced that Joe Biden had been elected as the 46th president of the United States. This also meant that Sen. Kamala Harris had been elected the nation’s 49th vice president, the first woman and the second person of color ever to serve in the nation’s second-highest office. Though President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign has not conceded defeat and is pursuing legal challenges in a number of states, the announcement gave a sense of finality to what had been a long week. Immediately after the race was called, students took to Hearn Plaza to Roll the Quad, a Wake tradition used to celebrate a big win. By nightfall, every tree on the plaza was covered in toilet paper. Most of the students interviewed expressed happiness for Biden’s win. Similarly, as approximately 89.1% of students indicated that they supported the Democrat in an Old Gold & Black poll.Photo credits: Melissa Cooney/Old Gold & Black.Click the link in our bio to read more from Aine Pierre (’24).