Greek life partners with sustainability programs

Greeks Go Green works to introduce new initiatives to on-campus chapters

Courtesy of Greeks Go Green

Greeks Go Green representatives celebrate Earth Day 2021 through activities.

Lanie Albert, Contributing Writer

With over 50% of Wake Forest’s population participating in on-campus Greek chapters, organizations that collaborate with sororities and fraternities can more efficiently reach a large number of students at once to spread ideas such as environmental initiatives. This inspired Greeks Go Green, an organization that brings together student representatives from every Greek organization on campus to engage members in sustainable practices. 

Originally founded in 2011, Greeks Go Green currently has representatives from 18 Greek chapters on campus. Each representative in the organization is responsible for communicating information about sustainability programs on campus with their chapters, as well as proposing their own initiatives.

According to the Greeks Go Green mission statement on their website, each Greek organization is involved on campus, enabling members of each chapter to form a tie between environmental values and sustainability practices. 

“My biggest project as part of Greeks Go Green has been the Instagram I created last semester called ‘Tri Delta Treasures,’” said sophomore Alyssa Dendle, a Greeks Go Green representative of the Delta Delta Delta chapter. “This account serves as a platform for members to post dresses, costumes, books, or anything else helpful that other members can buy or borrow.” 

This Instagram page helps contribute to sustainable practices by limiting wasteful consumption habits. Instead of buying a new dress for each event, chapter members can pick from outfits that are collectively shared on this account. 

Tyler Petschek, a sophomore at Wake Forest and Alpha Sigma Phi chapter change chair, has been working on developing a plan for the Spring 2022 semester that is specifically targeted at limiting single-use plastic waste. 

This plan also involved the concept of a Greeks Go Green fair, in which each chapter would have a tent and provide passing students with information regarding climate change and ongoing sustainability programs within Greek Life on campus

“Think of it somewhat like the club fair but for fun and education on sustainability,” Petscheck said.

The Greeks Go Green program is part of the broader sustainability program at Wake Forest which sets out a strategic plan for climate action. The sustainability branch at the university sets out two specific goals for the future on its website. 

First, they aim to develop an action plan to achieve climate neutrality by 2040 and to create cross-curricular opportunities that introduce at least half of the student body to environmentally friendly practices. 

The group is also working towards climate action goals that were set in 2012 in the areas of dining and food systems, teaching and research, transportation, waste reduction and recycling.

In 2018, the group achieved its goal of sourcing twenty percent of the food and beverages offered within campus dining programs from sustainable sources. In 2015, sustainable food sources were at just three percent; that figure now stands at above thirty percent.

The resources section of the Greeks Go Green website provides extensive answers to frequently asked questions regarding sustainability at Wake Forest. For example, if a student is wondering if Wake Forest offered a master’s degree in sustainability, this organization has the answers — students can pursue a master’s in Sustainability at the Center of Energy, Environment and Sustainability (EES). This 30-credit MA program is one of the few across the nation. 

To become involved in this program, visit the ‘Get Involved’ tab on their website, sustainability.wfu.edu, to sign up for their monthly newsletter and learn about volunteer opportunities and internships. 

You can find more information on Instagram @greeksgogreen.wfu.