Chris Caswell/ Old Gold & Black
Chris Caswell/ Old Gold & Black

Wake Forest comes together to celebrate Springfest

Students came together this week to participate in various activities to celebrate the spring season as part of Student Union’s traditional Springfest.

“Springfest has become one of Wake Forest’s most beloved traditions on campus,” said Nia McIntosh, chair of the Festivals committee of Student Union. “Dating back to 1976, Springfest has been well-attended by many generations of Wake Forest students. This year, the Festivals committee of Student Union is excited to keep this valued event alive with a jam-packed week full of fun activities that will appeal to all students on campus.”

Student Union has planned activities each day of the week — the first on Monday — culminating in “Shag on the Mag,” an annual dance held in a tent on Manchester Plaza.

“Springfest is one of my favorite Student Union activities of the year because of the large turnout it produces, and it creates an even stronger sense of community,” said sophomore Preston Bowers.

On Monday, Springfest opened with a midday ice cream and cake social to get students excited for the week’s upcoming activities.

“It’s a good way to welcome the new season,” said freshman Ryan Grady. “I think the campus is livelier with the nicer weather.”

Student Union hosted a movie on Tuesday night on the Magnolia Quad with a showing of “National Treasure: Book of Secrets.” Students had the opportunity to watch the movie outdoors on a large projection screen.

On Wednesday, students flocked to Davis Field to attend “The Golden Exchange” — one of the most anticipated events.

Food trucks parked next to the field, and there were a variety of activities such as a rock climbing wall, a fortune teller and treasure hunts.

Many students, however, were most excited about the petting zoo.

“I was very impressed with the petting zoo, specifically the camel and the baby kangaroo,” Bowers said.

Freshman Kai Lin also enjoyed the petting zoo, but his favorite was the rock climbing wall.

The event was well attended by both students and children from the community.

Students will come together on Thursday on the Magnolia Quad to show off their artistic talents.

“On Thursday evening, we will showcase student creativity in the arts on the Mag Quad,” McIntosh said. “Be it spoken word, rap, bands, solo artists or a cappella groups — We have very talented students who excel in the arts.”

Springfest will culminate with “Shag on the Mag” on Friday evening. Students will pack into a tent on the Magnolia Quad for a night of Carolina shag dancing.

“Shag on the Mag is special, because there is no other event quite like it,” McIntosh said. “This event not only helps bring the campus community together, but it also provides an opportunity for a variety of community members to converse in a safe environment.”

Students like Bowers are excited for it, too.

“‘Shag on the Mag is an awesome party for all students to be together,” Bowers said. “Last year, it was really fun, so I have high expectations for it this week as well.”