Don’t believe all the Pitsgiving hype without some skepticism

One of Wake Forest’s most treasured events is next week, and its being talked about in every corner of campus.

I am talking about Pitsgiving of course. This will be my third year going to the event, which is always hyped up for the whole fall semester.

Look, I love food as most people can tell by my physique, but I am not as excited for Pitsgiving as most other students.

My lack of enthusiasm is based around the subpar quality of the food. Maybe my family makes some killer food, and I just don’t like the food from the Pit in comparison. Or maybe the Pit has gone down in quality with its most busy day of the year?

During my first year at Wake Forest, I heard countless reports of the madness and beauty of Pitsgiving.

I was engulfed and excited for the event of the year. The line into the Pit stretched for miles it seemed, but I found myself inside sooner or later and was surrounded by cheers and delicious food.

It was extreamly stressful in finding a seat where I had any sense of personal space, but sooner or later I found it.

Being a vegetarian, Thanksgiving food is not always the most accessible to me, but I found more than enough food to satisfy my stomach. And of course, the Pit had ample choices for desserts — the best food group of all for the feast.

I ate more than I could reasonably consume, but it was Pitsgiving so why not splurge.

During my second year, the process of finding a seat was scientifically easier. The lines seemed to be almost non-existent in comparison to my first year. But the lack of stress, in comparison, was in no way worth the quality of food I somehow consumed.

While I am a picky eater, I know when I am being too critical. And last year I was in no way being too critical.

What was presented was edible, yet in no way was it practically enjoyable. I know the Pit workers worked for many hours and incredibly hard, for that I am very appreciative. But I am also saddened by the fall of an event so dear to both my heart and many other students.

While I heard students complain of the long lines and stress, it was worth it for me. As this next Pitsgiving rolls up, I hope with all my heart that Pitsgiving is on par with my first year. And I think I may be happy with the results this year.

The Pit seems to be truly changing in both their quality and presentation of food. But more than quality, with their addictions of steak, clam, shrimp and more foods commonly associated within the upper echelon of food. 

As the Pit has undergonea series of improvements, I recommend all students to still go this year. One year hasn’t dissuaded me from trying to enter and find a seat for some notorious Pit potatoes and pecan pie within the sea of students trying to do the same. Don’t sit out this Pitsgiving, rather sit in for the entire day and fill your belly to the brim.

So to my first-year friends, I want you to give the pitch a chance and journey into the pit Nov. 16. This could be the best day of the year for food, so first its vital you try it.

So maybe I will be happy with the Pitsgiving this year. I truly hope so considering this is my second to last year here. But maybe I won’t, maybe the Pit will be even worse. Maybe I will have to go to Moe’s Southwest Grill to find anything worthwhile for me to munch on.