Student Government General Assembly: Oct. 23

Executive Reports

President Danny Reeves reported that this Thursday at 5pm will be the first Mental Health Coalition meeting in the Student Government office.

Speaker of the House Will Hargrove reported that Alex Chris from Parking and Transportation and Chief Lawson of University Police will come to senate to talk about their Job Descriptions and answer questions. Student Government is also working on initiating conversation within the organization like the Call 2 Conversation.

Treasurer Sydney Packard reported that requests for new plaques in Benson got approved and will be located between the 2nd and 3rd floor. There will be a new one for the President. Kathy Arnett who runs Wake Frost is looking for volunteers to be on the committee for the school-wide dance that alternates with President’s Ball. It will take place in February in the Sutton center. The time commitment is once a week.

Secretary Maia Kennedy reminded the Senate that Project Pumpkin is this week.

Chief of Staff Daniel Oberti reported that the Presidential Leadership Series has been moved.

Staff Advisor Tim Wilkinson not present.

Committee Reports

Academic Committee discussed feedback from the Major and Minor fair.

Campus Life Committee discussed plans for their Project Pumpkin booth.

Diversity and Inclusion Committee asked senate for ideas on how to improve dialogue on campus and ideas for diversity and inclusion.

Judiciary Committee finished their campus alcohol review and is analyzing the data.

Physical Planning Committee is having a blue light walk on Nov 12th at 8pm with Campus Police and is trying to install blue lights in the Sophomore parking lot since there have been complaints about safety in that lot. Mini Sustainability Week will be before Thanksgiving break and will be a series of Pit sits to promote sustainability. There will be a longer event in February. There is also a new peanut butter and jelly station at the North Pit.  

Public Relations Committee will be publishing first-year highlights on their Instagram story, and their website has been updated with new pictures of freshmen. They will start publishing an end of semester report on website other than a newsletter.

Student Organizations Council chartered 3 new organizations: Chi Alpha Christian fellowship, Can I Poet, and VOICES.

Constituent Concerns

Students in Angelou have been complaining about a weed smell in the building. The resident advisers could not determine where the smell is coming from, and Campus Police filed a report last night. Call your RA on duty if there is an issue like this!

Announcements

This Sunday at 1:30pm is the Alpha Delta Pi Halloween Hustle 5K. The money raised will benefit the Ronald McDonald house,.

Rugby has their last home game this weekend. It’s the quarterfinals of the conference and it’s on Saturday 12pm.

Early voting period started this week! You can register at the polls during early voting and can vote on the same day you register.  

The deadline has been extended to register for the Birdies for Bear charity golf tournament.