OGB Puts Sci & Tech Section On Temporary Hiatus

Last year, the Old Gold & Black introduced a new Science & Technology section intended to highlight STEM-related news as well as student and faculty research on Wake Forest’s campus.

This semester, however, the Editorial Board has come to the difficult and unfortunate decision that the section must be put on a hiatus for the time being.

Our newspaper is currently facing its own version of a challenge undergone by local newspapers across the country — understaffing — as a record number of our editors are studying abroad this fall. As a result, we do not have adeqaute personnel to man the section. 

We will continue to cover the important and groundbreaking research undertaken by many of Wake Forest’s faculty and students in our News section. In addition, we invite any students interested in the confluence of STEM fields and journalism to come speak with us at the Involvement Fair on Sept. 3 and at our interest meeting or to reach out to via email.

Additionally, we look forward to adding members of the Class of 2023 to our staff. Among the members of our newest class are several future editors, and we cannot wait to meet the next generation of Old Gold & Black staffers.

If you bring a unique perspective to our campus, and each of you do, then you have already taken the first step toward becoming a journalist. Some day soon, your perspectives will be the ones driving the content that we publish, and we look forward to learning what issues the newest members of our Wake Forest community will tackle.

Becoming a part of our staff does not require a prolific prior background in journalism. All of us learned skills as we went along, so do not be afraid to put yourself out there and try your hand at writing if you feel that you have something to contribute.

Unlike local newspapers, our staff will replenish quickly. New members will join our ranks and our abroad friends will rejoin in the spring. We are hopeful that, even in this desperate-seeming time, we can grow our staff in record numbers.

Our Science & Technology section’s hiatus will be temporary, and we look forward to its swift return.