Thrive Positively Impacts The Community

Thrive Positively Impacts The Community

Five years ago, Wake Forest introduced the Thrive initiative, designed to provide students with the knowledge, skills and perspective to live healthy and fulfilling lives at Wake Forest.

On Sept. 4, the university recognized the fifth anniversary of the initiative at a celebration on Manchester Plaza, which included food, music, activities, merchandise and representation from various campus organizations involved with student wellbeing.

The Editorial Board of the Old Gold & Black commends the Office of Wellbeing for their concern with all facets of student health. Indeed, Thrive recognizes that eight dimensions of wellbeing — emotional, environmental, financial, intellectual, occupational, physical, social and spiritual — play into students’ abilities to live healthy and meaningful lives in college, and we appreciate the university’s balanced approach to all eight.

At the same time, we understand that wellbeing is a highly complex and individualized phenomenon. Every student’s journey towards happiness is different, and while some Thrive initiatives, such as yoga workshops and Puppies on the Quad, may  be helpful to some students, many students face challenges that require much more serious intervention.

Thus, the Editorial Board would like to reiterate that Thrive initiatives, while often beneficial, should not be interpreted as a substitute for serious professional help if you need it.

In addition, Thrive website states, “Your wellbeing is, and always will be, your responsibility.” While we agree that taking charge of your happiness is important, the Editorial Board also stresses that if you find it difficult to adjust to the transition that accompanies going to college, it is not your fault. Everyone handles change and stress differently, and no one should feel like their concerns do not deserve to be heard. If you need help, seek it.

While Wake Forest can be an amazing place, it certainly comes with its share of stressors. Thrive represents a thorough effort to address the struggles of college life, and every student is welcome to utilize Thrive’s resources if they need them.