Deacon Spotlight: Logan Bolton

Deacon Spotlight: Logan Bolton

Logan Bolton is a senior member of the WFU cheerleading squad. She’s set to graduate in May with a degree in communication as well as a minor in journalism, and has led an incredibly decorated career as a Wake Forest student thus far. On campus, she holds executive positions on the Student Union as well as the Pan-Hellenic Council; off campus, she’s been instrumental in leading the charge for social justice in her hometown of Fayetteville, Ga.

Ben Conroy: First of all, how has the start of the semester been for you so far? How are you adjusting to the new guidelines/rules for on-campus living?

Logan Bolton: I think just like most people here, I’m just happy to be back. The new guidelines are different, and there is definitely an adjustment period, but I’d rather be socially distant and precautionary on campus than spending my senior year at home. 

BC: From a cheerleading standpoint, how have practices/preparations for the upcoming season changed in response to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak?

LB: Wake Athletics is definitely taking every precaution possible to allow us to enjoy the sport we love while still staying safe. Masks are mandatory at all times throughout practice, no exceptions. We’ll also be wearing masks and social distancing during the games. Football season obviously looks a LOT different as well. To my understanding every decision has been in accordance with North Carolina’s current phase, so for our first home game against Clemson there won’t be any fans in the stadium. I know that’s not what anyone wanted but I’m fortunate to have somewhat of a season because so many other schools and conferences (rightfully) opted out.

BC: What are you looking forward to most about the upcoming sports seasons?

LB: I’m most looking forward to learning under our new head coach. We recently got a new spirit director who previously coached at Lenoir Rhyne and she is amazing- has over 30 years of competition experience in dance and cheer, an admirable work ethic and an amazing energy that makes you want to be better. Our team has drastically improved in just the few weeks that we’ve been practicing under her, so I can only imagine how good we’ll look by the end of the school year.

BC: Ahead of your final year of cheerleading as a senior, what are some of your favorite memories throughout your time on WFU cheer?

LB: I think my fondest memories are all of our huge wins. The first one that comes to mind is Men’s Basketball beating Duke in double overtime in 2020, and everyone getting to storm the court afterward. The energy was crazy and made that long game (on a school night) so worth it. Similarly, I’m reminded of the atmosphere when FB beat UNC in 2019, and how proud I was to be a Demon Deacon when we lined up to sing the alma mater at the conclusion of the game. Ultimately, the people have made my experience as a Wake cheerleader. The countless hours of practice, community service, performances, etc. make for lots of laughter and bonding. I met my best friend through this team, and some of my future bridesmaids as well, but it sure does get a lot more fun when our teams win.

BC: In recent months, a renewed desire for social justice and racial equality has swept our nation. The injustices in our country are coming to light, and it’s clear you’ve been a driving force in affecting positive change in that regard. What are some of the ways you’ve been able to get involved in these social justice movements?

LB: I took the initiative to get involved in fighting for social justice in my hometown back in Fayetteville, Ga., which is a suburban town in MetroAtlanta. I was one of four co-organizers for the biggest protest/rally the city had ever had this summer, reaching attendance of around 3,000 people. We were able to organize in accordance with city officials to ensure the safety of our protesters. Intersections were blocked off. Plenty of water and snacks were donated. We even had a medic and private security professionals to ensure the protest stayed peaceful and didn’t detract from our message. Since the protest, I’ve stayed involved with the city of Fayetteville and continued to put pressure on them to make noticeable change in areas where minority individuals, especially Black individuals, are most affected. We’ve had multiple meetings with the mayor, city manager and county commissioner about ways to reform systemic oppressions in our town. I also contributed to a Police Town Hall forum where all the police chiefs from every major town in Fayette County were able to sit on a panel and answer the community’s questions. This was so necessary in light of the devastating incidents of police brutality that plague our media, and the countless incidents that don’t get recorded, but get swept under the rug.

BC: What has been the most rewarding part of this process for you? 

LB: It’s not really rewarding for me. It’s tiring, and frustrating and there are times when you feel your grievances are falling on deaf ears, especially when you don’t see immediate change or feel like the people in power are giving you the runaround. I guess if I had to point out a positive take away from the protest and the social justice initiatives I’ve been a part of this summer, it was the pleasant surprise of having so many allies. We had no idea we’d get such a huge turn out for the protest, but to see the majority of them being white individuals with their children, and signs, that was a gratifying moment for me. It reinforced the notion that nothing will change until white people see the problem of racial inequality as something they need to help fix, not just something they should sympathize with.

BC: What advice would you give a Wake Forest Student who’s looking to get involved, but isn’t sure how?

LB: I firmly believe you’re never going to find your Wake Forest if you don’t get involved. Wake Forest students are known for being intelligent, but they’re also known for being busy-bodies. Every friend I have on this campus is involved in two plus organizations, which I think is important to the college experience. If you don’t know where to start, I advise reaching out to the Engagement Consultants in the Office of Student Engagement. Their entire job entails recording your interests and desires and matching you with like-minded organizations and experiences. The consultants are students just like you, so they have first-hand accounts of people and organizations and can provide a vulnerable perspective.

BC: Do you have any words of wisdom for the new class of first-year students as they settle into their first semester on campus?

LB: Wear a mask. But also I would stress the importance of patience. It’s easy to come to college and want to immediately have best friends, and immediately have your major and the rest of your life figured out. Which is unrealistic. You can’t declare your major until sophomore year for a reason, soak up all the courses and education Wake Forest has to offer while you can, you may just find yourself passionate about something else. Also, I hate to break it to you, but your friend group is going to change six times before you get your true core circle of friends, so focus on the ‘now.’ Enjoy your time with the people around you (socially distant of course) but be open to the punches life will throw and the personal growth it will encourage. I’m a firm believer in “if it’s supposed to be for you, it will be.” You have four years to make your mark on Wake Forest, don’t be in a rush.