Student Government Report

Student Government report for the week of Nov. 16

Jessica Schmidt, Student Government Beat Reporter

Executive Reports

President Miles Middleton reported that he has a meeting with Vice President Rue this week to wrap up the semester and is glad the Wake Forest community has remained on campus the entire semester.

Speaker of the House Ally Swartzberg shared that the Process Packet is now on the student government website, sg.wfu.edu. This packet provides a comprehensive overview of student government processes and roles. Swartzberg, along with the Judiciary Committee, believes it will be a huge help in understanding the inner workings of student government. She also shared that there are two available co-chair positions in the Campus Life Committee and Judiciary Committee for spring 2021, so applications will be going live for senators who are interested. 

Committee Reports

The Academic Committee apologized for being unable to change the move-out time that is currently scheduled for Nov. 24 at 5 p.m. because it conflicts with students’ classes and wished that Residence Life and Housing would have pushed back the move-out time. The committee reported that while there are a few more in-person or blended classes scheduled for the spring semester, the number is not a significant increase. They are also working on creating a better portal for signing up for study spaces for the spring so students are able to schedule spaces more in advance. 

The Judiciary Committee had a meeting with the LAC center and Public Relations Committee this week to discuss how honor code implementation can be incorporated into Academic Awareness Week. They also reported that their Democracy Week simulations at R.J. Reynolds High were postponed until Dec. 14 and 16. 

The Public Relations Committee was busy working on the planning of Academic Awareness Week, which will take place the week of Feb. 4. The committee is also working on the distribution of Lovefeast candles throughout this entire week to encourage students to get their candle and participate at home on Dec. 6. The candles will be in the post office all week, in Tribble Courtyard Wednesday, Nov. 18 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and outside North Pit Thursday, Nov. 19 from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. 

The Physical Planning Committee reported that they are beginning to plan for Earth Week and are sending out a Benson food court survey to students to get feedback on dining options. The committee will also be talking with dining services to see how the food given to students in quarantine or isolation at the Best Western or Hawthorne Inn can be improved for the spring semester. 

Other Business 

Anna Price, the sustainable consumption intern from the Office of Sustainability, spoke about the office’s Sustainable Swap Talk on Friday, Nov. 20 at 2 p.m. outside The Pod in Benson. The office hopes to promote low waste toiletry items in order to lessen the amount of plastic waste and toxic chemicals in toiletry items. They will be offering samples of items from the brand EarthHero, which sells toiletry products that are more environmentally friendly during their event on Friday. WFU students are able to use the discount code, WAKEFOREST10, to purchase EarthHero products.

Two resolutions were passed in the senate. The first, S.R.7. was about the distribution of care packages to the students remaining on campus during the Thanksgiving and winter break. The resolution called for $300 from student government funds to provide 30 care packages to the students staying. It was passed unanimously. The second resolution was S.R.8, encouraging Wake Forest to make all new construction and building renovations LEED Gold Certified. Currently, the university ensures that all buildings follow the LEED Silver Certification. While there were some concerns about the resolution’s specificity, it was also passed. 

The last student government meeting of the year will be on Dec. 4, 2020.