ARAW connects students to resources

Academic Resources Awareness Week events will occur from November 1-5 across campus

Breanna Laws, Contributing Writer

With the end of the semester quickly approaching, it is important for all students to take advantage of the academic resources at their disposal. To that end, Student Government is putting on their second annual Academic Resources Awareness Week (ARAW). The week of Nov. 1-5 will be dedicated to educating students about how best to utilize the academic resources available on campus.

ARAW represents a partnership between Student Government and the Center for Learning, Access, and Student Success (CLASS), formerly known as the Learning Assistance Center (LAC).

Every day of the week will be dedicated to a different academic resource on campus. There will be a variety of activities throughout each day, as well as daily posts on Student Government’s Instagram page detailing challenges with gift cards as rewards.

Student Government developed this week last year in an attempt to help students feel more comfortable connecting with academic resources.

“At Wake Forest, there is definitely a pressure to not use these resources because we are all considered good students,” Jess Schmidt, co-chair of Student Government’s public relations committee, said.

Last spring, all ARAW events were virtual due to COVID-19. This year, in-person events can help students connect with the resources on campus. It was decided that the event should take place in the fall so that first-year students can be introduced to resources before their first finals week.

All students are invited and encouraged to attend the events of ARAW as their finals approach.

Jeannine Lynch, the other co-chair of the public relations committee, explained Student Government’s goals of the week.

“Our goal this week is really just to reach students who think there’s a stigma around getting academic help,” Lynch said. “As students it’s important that we recognize when we need academic help.”

Monday, Nov. 1 was dedicated to the Z. Smith Reynolds Library.  There was all-day tabling in the library providing students with more information on the resources provided by the library. There was also bullet journaling in the WakerSpace at 4 p.m., which allowed students to create journals for academic success.

Tuesday, Nov. 2 was about academic coaching here on campus. From 10:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., there were donuts on the lower quad with many representatives giving out tips on how to succeed academically. There was pizza and a student panel discussion in Benson 409 at 6 p.m.

On Wednesday, Nov. 3, tutoring resources on campus were highlighted. There was tabling in the first-year residence halls from 1:30-3 p.m. There was also a “CLASS Café” from 3:30-5 p.m. outside of Reynolda Hall. This event let students socialize and talk with representatives from the CLASS office over hot cocoa, hot cider, and snacks.

Thursday, Nov. 4 is centered around getting familiar with the help centers (e.g. the Writing Center, the Math and Statistics Center, etc.) on campus. From 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., the various help centers will host informational tables on Tribble Courtyard. The tables also provided information on the different departmental help centers, as well as how to access their resources.

Finally, on Friday, Nov. 5, the Office of Academic Advising (OAA) will be featured. The OAA will be set up outside of the Pit from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. to answer questions and give out other information to students.

None of the events of the week require registration. For additional information, please visit the Student Government’s Instagram page for updates on the week’s activities. You can find them at @wake_sg.