Dorm repairs force students to move

Students living in Johnson and Bostwick, which will be renovated in the spring, will move to Luter

Breanna Laws, Staff Writer

Since the summer, Luter Residence Hall has gone through major reconstruction, and the revitalization is slated to finish before the start of the Spring 2022 semester. As a result, certain members of the class of 2025 saw two separate housing assignments when they checked this summer — one for the fall, and one for the spring.

First-year students assigned to Bostwick and Johnson Residence Halls, which will be renovated beginning in the spring, were told that they would be making a move to Luter later in the school year. Now, these students are preparing for their new living spaces, which will be ready for move-in in January.

The Office of Residence Life and Housing has released information to the students regarding exactly how the move-in process will work. Letters were sent out to all students in late October including a timeline and room assignment information.

According to that letter, Nov. 8-19 are set aside for students to pack their belongings. Packing supplies will be provided and sent directly to residents’ rooms. All boxes should be labeled and ready to move by Dec. 12. Check-in to Luter will occur on Jan. 6. Additional details regarding check-in day are to follow.

While it is quite unusual to have so many students moving halfway through the year, many students are able to look forward to all the perks that will come with living in Luter.

Almost all students at Wake Forest know that the construction was extensive, as the whole hall was essentially gutted. Some of the Luter renovations were more practical, including plumbing and exterior updates. New heating, air conditioning and electrical systems were also a focus of the hall’s updates. In addition, the building will now have more sustainable features, including LED lighting and water-saving utilities.

Aside from the more practical updates, Luter also underwent major cosmetic renovations. The room structure will be different from years past, and the social spaces have been updated. All of the built-in furniture has been removed and was replaced with movable desks and closets.

Many students are looking toward their move with both excitement and apprehension.

“Yes, we get to move into a new dorm, but it’s going to be such a hassle in the middle of finals,” freshman Brooke Smith, a Bostwick resident, said.

Some students’ roommate situations, or lack thereof, will also be changing.

“On one hand, I’m going to miss the freedom of having a single,” freshman James Li said. “But on the other hand, I’m looking forward to the freshly renovated rooms in Luter.”

All Bostwick and Johnson students were given singles in preparation for the move, though many will now have roommates in Luter. Residence Life and Housing charged these students the full single rate — almost $1,000 more than the double rate — even if they did not explicitly request a single.

“Although I did not request a single, I am in one because of the Luter move,” freshman Isabella Grace said. “I was okay with the change, but the difference in cost was irritating, as [I had no choice in the matter].”

It is important to note that first years are not the only ones facing this adjustment. The RAs of Bostwick and Johnson will have to pick up their belongings and move, too.

“It’s a little disappointing to be leaving halfway through the year, having to pack and unpack and explore a new space,” Bostwick RA and sophomore Alex Silverio said. “But, I can really see the excitement in people’s eyes everytime we hear a little bit more about what the building will look like — even though we’ve only heard so much.”

Overall, there is a mix of emotions amongst the soon-to-be Luter residents. At the same time, many residents agree that this experience has brought them closer together and that they feel more connected.

“[Bostwick] is one of the worst dorms on campus, but the positive is the amazing community that we have built here,” freshman Thomas Peterson said.

While there are still many unknowns, these first year students will be experiencing them together along with the sanctity of their new and improved spaces.