Education should be more than career preparation

John Dewey said, “Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.”

I advocate for a future education system that teaches us knowledge that stays throughout one’s entire life, instead of “knowledge” that is crammed a night before a test and then forgotten a day after.

As a Wake Forest freshman, I have experienced nearly a school year of college, and for the purpose of improving the collegiate experience for the coming generations of students, I would like to reflect upon my personal experience.

Wake Forest requires students to complete courses under divisions like humanities, literatures, fine arts, social sciences, math and natural sciences, so they will be exposed to as many fields as possible.

I have heard students who don’t know what to try so they find the easiest class available so that they can maintain or boost their GPAs. On the other hand, some students already have a sense of direction before they become members of the university, and they think being required to take divisional courses is a waste of time.

I suggest that you refrain from being too systematic and impatient with your education.

When I say systematic, I mean don’t be too caught up in society’s expectations. For instance, that perfect GPA and high salary are the ultimate goals. It would be both entertaining and beneficial for you to take an art class or a history class to enrich your mind.

Education should not just be about getting good grades.

Moreover, some people would tell me university education is about building your career path; however, I want others to open their minds a little more.

Besides taking the classes that guide you to future careers, you can try to add in a dance or a painting class.

Yes, it might take extra time, but sometimes it is important to push yourself a little bit in order to become the best version of yourself. What if you find out that you have a musical and artistic talent?

I would also encourage Wake Forest University to add more classes directly related to our life. For example, science professors should develop classes for non-science major students to educate those students in a less professional approach.

Based on general knowledge, students can have better critical analysis. More hands-on experiences, programs, workshops and clubs such as gardening, cooking and woodworking are a few recommendations. Life skills like EMT should be promoted as well.

I would like to see the University motto, Pro Humantitate, integrated into more into our curriculum instead of making a day for service or merely limited in fraternities and sororities.

When this idea is promoted through classes, every student can hear the message and feel included in Wake Forest community.