Welcome Our Neighbors On Opening Night

Welcome Our Neighbors On Opening Night

Editor’s note: this letter was published on behalf of the Athletics Department.

Dear Wake Foresters:

Welcome back to Mother So Dear! As I told the Freshman Class last Thursday at Deacon Olympics, I’m a freshman too as I begin my first year as your Director of Athletics. Of course, I’m not new to Wake Forest — I am a proud member of the class of ’93 — yet Wake Forest has evolved quite a bit! I’m amazed at the growth of the campus and the breadth of the student body, drawn from across the country and the globe. One thing that remains constant, though, is the Wake Forest spirit. I’m proud to return to my alma mater and find that Wake Foresters still care about each other and our community.

Dr. Hatch welcomed the freshman class last Friday with these words: “Generations of students have found this place generous, inviting and hospitable.” He went on to say hospitality “implies a place of safety and refuge for the stranger or person in need. Hospitality means extending welcome to those who, for whatever reason, may feel that they are strangers.”

On Friday we celebrate a new football season with a festive Opening Night against an excellent Utah State team. I welcome all students to come early and showcase Deacon pride to a national audience on the new ACC Network. For your entertainment, we have a free live pregame concert in the new I’m a Fan Zone on the west side of the stadium next to the Deacon Stadium, featuring the Big Daddy Love Band, beginning at 5:00 p.m. We’ll also salute the Class of 2023 as they Wake the Demons and then charge onto the field pregame and Open The Gates for our football team.

And, we are honored to welcome Winston-Salem State University’s award-winning “Red Sea of Sound” Marching Band to join with the Spirit of the Old Gold and Black in a historic halftime performance! Generous Deacon Club members have purchased tickets to host our student, faculty and staff neighbors from WSSU, and we are excited to have a packed stadium to kick off the season!

Wake Forest football is a great way to bring the entire Winston-Salem community together. With Vice President of Campus Life Penny Rue, I ask you to extend the warmest welcome to our Winston-Salem State and Utah State guests by opening up your tailgates, making introductions to your friends, celebrating the talents of the Red Sea of Sound and showing our neighbors the right time to cheer “Go Deacs” during the fight song. We look forward to seeing you at BB&T Field on Friday night!

Go Deacs!

Sincerely,

John Currie (Athletic Director) & Penny Rue (Vice President for Campus Life)