IFC Considers Delta Chi And Pi Kappa Phi

After narrowing down the potential candidates of fraternities that could be added to campus under the Interfraternity Council (IFC) expansion policy, three remain: Delta Chi (DX), Pi Kappa Phi (Pi Kap) and Phi Gamma Delta (FIJI).

Following FIJI’s presentation last week, the second and third IFC expansion presentations featured representatives from DX on Feb. 28 and Pi Kap on March 2. 

The representatives explained the values and policies of their respective fraternities and advocated for why the organization would be a good fit for the university.

Delta Chi

Originating at Cornell University as a law fraternity, DX was the first international fraternity to ban Hell Week, a traditional hazing period. In identifying their values, DX possesses four core statements: promote friendship, advance justice, develop character and assist in the acquisition of a sound education. 

Heather Lockwood, the senior director of field operations of the Delta Chi Fraternity, says the addition of verbs emphasizes actions over values. 

“It’s the things we do, not what we say, that make us who we are,” Lockwood said. 

At the event, Lockwood was accompanied by Aaron Wilson, associate executive director and chief operating officer of the Delta Chi Fraternity, and Jake Tomlin, director of fraternity services of the Delta Chi Fraternity and a founding member of Florida State University’s DX chapter. 

In a progressive gesture towards inclusion, the 2014 Gender Equity Act codified that anyone identifying as a male can join the brotherhood. DX claims Wake Forest is “operating on strategic growth,” which corresponds with the values and expansion plan of the organization. 

Though colonization is tailored to the institution, the standard completion time is six years and 2,097 contact hours, with over three years included of post-charter support provided by alumni and other stakeholders. For a colony to receive its charter, it must reach standards in eight areas, including scholarship, service and philanthropy, community awareness, membership development, risk management, chapter management, leadership development and alumni engagement.

DX searches for connection with “untapped student populations,” without recruiting from the same pool utilized by current IFC organizations in order to reflect the campus community better. Brothers participate in fundraising for the V Foundation for Cancer research, which supports doctors and researchers in finding a cure for cancer. They also hold a week of service leading up to the organization’s Founders’ Day on Oct. 13.  

Addressing the DX representatives, the crowd asked about their plans for increasing diversity, potential financial assistance for brothers, attitudes towards accountability, recent colonies at similar universities and their approach to mental health and risk management. At the University of Denver, a group of over 50 members recently received their charter. Tomlin noted that only seven organizations in the IFC have lower dues than DX and that $2,500 is allotted to founding fathers, as well as 33% coverage until chartering. 

Pi Kappa Phi

The final presentation took place on March 2, with five representatives and four alumni from Pi Kap. Originally called Nu Phi for “non-fraternity,” a group of independent thinkers united in order to enter the campus politics run solely by fraternities in the College of Charleston in 1904. Today, the organization identifies itself by the slogan, “Exceptional leaders. Uncommon opportunities,” which emphasizes leadership, friendship and deconstruction of fraternity stereotypes. 

Mark Timmes, the chief executive officer of the Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity, says its network of 180 chapters, around 12,000 active members and over 115,000 alumni aims to build an “uncommon and lifelong brotherhood.” Charles Babcock, whose family donated land allowing for the university’s establishment and claims name to a freshman residence hall, was a Pi Kapp at Davidson College. 

After a brief recruitment video, Rachel Westra, the chief operating officer of the Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity, detailed the journey program for new members and the extensive programming for three expectations for excellence: leadership development, intellectual advancement and seeking purpose. 

After the campus agrees to establish a chapter, council and chapter advisors will be immediately assigned to enact the four phases of action required to obtain a charter. Trained volunteers also facilitate programs about building healthy relationships, mental health and alcohol skills. 

Every year, over $100,000 is designated to merit-based scholarships and to rewards for community involvement. In terms of financial barriers to joining the organization, Timmes noted alumni are also enthusiastic to assist potential brothers. In the last decade, Pi Kapp partnered with the Foundation for International Education, which has programs in London and Dublin, to support global citizenship.

The fourth expectation of Pi Kapp is responsible citizenship and community development, which the organization carries out mainly through the Ability Experience and its subprograms. The initiative pairs fraternity members with communities of people who have disabilities in order to encourage its members to recognize different levels of ability and practice teamwork, integrity and empathy. 

Basil Lyberg, the chief executive officer of the Ability Experience, explained that his moments of engagement through the Ability Experience were some of the most impactful out of his entire college experience and were instrumental to his personal development. About 75% of chapters maintain ongoing local volunteer relationships. 

The crowd of student representatives, five from each IFC and Panhellenic organizations, questioned Lyberg about Pi Kapp’s accountability policies, approach to diversity and plan for diminishing financial obstacles for potential members. 

As the IFC expansion presentations came to a close with these two meetings, current Greek-affiliated students’ opinions will be decisive in influencing the committee’s perception of the potential reception of these groups on campus and whether their stated values and vision align with those of the university. 

Editor’s Note: A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that the number of active members of Pi Kappa Phi was 2,000, when it is in fact 12,000. The article has been modified to reflect this change.