Students reflect on fourth COVID FDOC

Booster requirements and mask mandates allow students to start the semester in-person

Wake+Forest+University+students+meet+up+with+their+friends+and+socialize+before+finding+their+classes+on+the+first+day.+

Katie Fox

Wake Forest University students meet up with their friends and socialize before finding their classes on the first day.

Hope Zhu, Contributing Writer

Despite several peer institutions beginning the semester with remote instruction, Wake Forest University’s Spring 2022 semester commenced on Jan. 10, with in-person classes and eager students.  

Around noon, President Wente sent an email informing the student body that “the opportunity to welcome everyone back to campus should not be taken for granted.” The email also stressed the importance of the new COVID-19 protocols and each student’s responsibility to uphold them. 

Freshman Grace Xu observed that many students were compliant with these protocols. 

“A lot of students were aware of the need for social distance and usually kept at least one seat between them if possible,” Xu said.

Professors continued to remind students of the mask mandate and implemented the strict rules outlined in the syllabus in order to ensure students keep their masks on during class.

In light of other campuses returning online, many students were thankful for the in-person FDOC. 

“I am glad that the classes are not virtual,” said freshman Zac Anderson, who intends to major in business and enterprise management and minor in theater.“In-person classes are so much better.”

Anderson added that FDOC felt like a “high school reunion.”

Many students felt the same way, especially first-year students.

“The campus felt more relaxing than last semester,” freshman Riley Shanaghan, who said that her greatest frustration during the first semester was “not knowing what will happen.” 

The majority of campus was quite lively on FDOC, as the newly installed Chick-fil-A kiosks were lined with students by 12 p.m, nearly blocking the entrance to the Benson lobby. Other students were seen carrying piles of books from the bookstore or discussing their break with friends outside Manchester Plaza. 

Although it seems many are quickly settling on campus, a new semester continues to be an adjustment for many students. 

Shanaghan felt apprehensive towards FDOC, specifically about her classes, but felt more confident regarding the state of the pandemic and the school’s restrictions. 

“I felt like there is not enough time to adjust and turn around,”  sophomore Camille Calkins, a business enterprise management major, said. Still, Calkins said that she is excited to see people walking around.

Although the campus will continue to operate under certain mandates, it seems the protocols did not stop students from enjoying their FDOC and settling into campus after the break.