Secretary: Maya Dalton

Secretary: Maya Dalton

Editor’s note: The above summaries were submitted by the candidates themselves, but may have been edited for length, clarity and AP Style.

Maya Dalton is excited to be running for the office of Student Body Secretary. She is a sophomore, Politics and International Affairs major with Statistics and Communication minors. She has served in Student Government for the last three semesters as a Senator, then as a chair of the Physical Planning Committee and currently as a chair of the Public Relations Committee. During her time at Wake Forest so far, she has dedicated time to helping others and the overall Wake Forest community. In addition to her roles within Student Government, she has committed herself to service and leadership as the Student Marketing Director for the Wellbeing Center, a Student Adviser, a Tour Guide, co-president of Wake Forest’s chapter of the National Society of Leadership and Scholars and within her sorority, Alpha Delta Pi.

Dalton considers this a difficult time with a global pandemic threatening the community’s normality. Students, faculty, administration and staff need to lean on one another to support the community even while away from campus. She believes that it is TIME for Wake Forest to Thrive, Improve, Matter and Empower as the community adjusts to being apart, and return to Wake Forest even stronger. If elected, she will be a voice and liaison between students following COVID-19 to ensure everyone is taking care of themselves and the community. As a student leader, Dalton plans to continue her work with Mental Health advocacy by collaborating with the University Counseling Center regarding improving the ratio of counselors to students and providing a smooth transition to students resuming care on and off-campus. She also plans to work closely with the incoming Title IX director and the SAFE Office on implementing adequate education and resources for sexual assault prevention and survivors.

One thing she loves about Wake Forest is that she has never met two people with the same major/minor combination, involvement on campus or background. However, everyone comes together to be students at Wake Forest. Through collaborating with University administrative partners and student organizations, she wants to strengthen the unification and diversity of students, ensuring that every Demon Deacon has resources to benefit their wellbeing.