Speaker of the House: Jenna Mayer

Speaker of the House: Jenna Mayer

Editor’s note: The above summaries were submitted by the candidates themselves, but may have been edited for length, clarity and AP Style.

Jenna Mayer, a double major in Elementary Education and Politics & International Affairs from New Jersey, is running for Speaker of the House. Her platform includes tangible changes within the Wake Forest community including moving reading days to weekdays, a community service option for parking tickets, increased counseling staff at the UCC, and more. 

Additionally, Mayer wants to focus on making sure that students know what Student Government does and how the organization can help students by being a proxy between the student body and the administration at Wake Forest.

Mayer has been involved in Student Government since her freshman year, serving as a Senator, Physical Planning (sophomore Fall) and Campus Life (junior) committee co-chair, and Speaker Pro-Tempore (junior Fall). Within Student Government, she received the “Freshman Senator of the Year” award. With the help of her Campus Life committee co-chair this year, Mayer started an after-school club at Paisley IB Magnet School and planned and executed Student Government’s annual Mental Health Week.

Outside of Student Government, Mayer spends her time volunteering in the Winston-Salem community. She serves as the Service Coordinator for WFU’s Episcopal Student Fellowship and is an active member of Wake Forest’s Service Fraternity, Alpha Phi Omega. Mayer was recently nominated by President Hatch, and consequently selected, as a Newman Civic Fellow for the 2020-2021 academic year. For her fellowship project, she will be focusing on education equity, specifically improving literacy rates, in the Winston-Salem community. Mayer is a proud Magnolia Scholar and looks forward to having the opportunity to champion issues of first-generation students as Speaker of the House.